The CISMP qualification
The Certificate in Information Security Management Principles (CISMP) qualification demonstrates good knowledge and understanding of the key areas involved in information security management, including cybersecurity, risk management, information security management (ISO 27001), and technical controls. Awarded by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, following successful completion of the CISMP exam.
CISMP provides a solid foundation, upon which a successful information security career can be built. It is particularly valuable to those working in the public sector.
Get in touch
If you’re looking to advance your career with the CISMP qualification but have some questions, call our training team on +1 877 317 3454, or request a call back using the form below. Our experts are ready and waiting with practical advice.
Gain the CISMP qualification to further your career
Gain a well-respected qualification in information security management at your own pace with the CISMP distance learning course. Attendees gain a solid understanding of risk management, technical controls, legal frameworks, physical security, international standards, and business continuity.
Perfect for anyone looking to further their information security knowledge or career, this course provides an excellent base to guide professionals towards the more advanced CISSP® and CISM® examinations.
Find out more
Who is CISMP suitable for?
If you are keen to develop a career in information security, CISMP is the perfect starting point as it provides a broad introduction to information security management. The content is also suitable for business professionals who require a deeper understanding of information security as part of their wider business knowledge.
What's in the CISMP syllabus?
The CISMP syllabus covers the following areas:
- Information Security Management Principles (10%)
- Information Risk (Threats, Vulnerabilities) (10%)
- Information Security Framework (Organization, Implementation, Standards) (20%)
- Procedural / People Security Controls (15%)
- Technical Security Controls (including Infrastructure, Cloud Computing) (25%)
- Software Development and Lifecycle (5%)
- Physical and Environmental Security Controls (5%)
- Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Management (5%)
- Other Technical Aspects
View the full BCS syllabus for CISMP >>
The BCS requires CISMP candidates to demonstrate knowledge in the following areas:
- Knowledge of the concepts relating to information security management (confidentiality, integrity, availability, vulnerability, threats, risks, countermeasures, etc)
- Understanding of current national legislation and regulations which impact upon information security management
- Awareness of current national and international standards, frameworks, and organizations which facilitate the management of information security
- Understanding of the current business and common technical environments in which information security management has to operate
- Knowledge of the categorization, operation, and effectiveness of controls of different types and characteristics.
The CISMP exam
To achieve the CISMP qualification, you must pass a two hour multiple-choice exam, consisting of 100 questions. A minimum of 65 marks out of 100 are required to pass and 80 marks will gain you a distinction.
The CISMP exam is included in our CISMP Distance Learning Training Course, which covers the BCS learning objectives in order to prepare candidates for the exam.
View a sample CISMP exam paper >>
CISMP course benefits
- IT Governance’s CISMP Distance Learning Training Course is perfect for anyone looking to further their information security knowledge or career, this course provides an excellent base to guide professionals towards the more advanced CISSP® and CISM® examinations.
- Gain a complete introduction to information security management principles according to the BCS syllabus
- Comply with governmental requirements
As well as our wide range of additional information security titles you may also be interested in our free green papers on information security, risk management and business continuity management.
Why choose IT Governance for your CISMP training?
- Leading global provider of IT governance, risk management and compliance solutions
- All courses are designed by experts and delivered by experienced trainers
- Take advantage of a wealth of free resources and affordable tools and support once you have completed your training
- Focussed on improving knowledge, developing skills, and awarding certification
- IT Governance courses are guaranteed to run – we never cancel a course
- Since launching our CISMP course in 2013, we have maintained has a 96% pass rate