What is an external network penetration test?
A network penetration test aims to assess your network for vulnerabilities and security issues in servers, hosts, devices and network services.
This generally includes:
- Identifying and assessing all Internet-facing assets a criminal hacker could use as potential entry points into your network
- Assessing the effectiveness of your firewalls and other intrusion-prevention systems
- Establishing whether an unauthorized user with the same level of access as your customers and suppliers can gain access to your systems via the external network
Clients will receive information about the identified vulnerabilities in a format that allows them to assess their relative business risk and the cost of remediation. This information can be used to resolve the vulnerabilities in line with the network owner’s budget and risk appetite.
COVID-19: remote delivery options
We would like to reassure our clients that all training and consultancy services will go ahead as scheduled during the current COVID-19 situation. As a company that fully embraces flexible and remote working, we are adjusting our delivery methods to allow us to provide consultancy services, penetration tests, and training remotely where necessary. Please also refer to our COVID-19 policy.
Did you know?
- 72% of engagements resulted in at least one compromised password. Of those, 60% were easily guessed passwords, where the pen tester used generic password spraying, known defaults, and easily guessed organization-specific passwords.
- 96% of engagements that involved either a network or application assessment saw at least one vulnerability exposed to attackers
Under the Hoodie 2019 - Rapid7 Global Consulting
Breaking into external systems (those that communicate with the Internet) can be relatively simple if they have not been properly patched and secured against the latest threats.
Once an external attacker has gained access to your network, they can access sensitive data, modify data, cause the system to operate abnormally or crash the system.
Is an external network penetration test right for you?
If you are responsible for your external network, you should ask yourself:
- Are my systems fully patched and properly configured?
- Are any systems or applications secured with weak or default passwords?
- Have I accounted for all the services exposed to the Internet?
- Could malware be present on my system?
- Is every device secured by a correctly configured firewall?
- Is my confidential information properly segregated or secured?
The benefits of completing an external network penetration test
Our penetration tests will help you:
- Gain real-world insight into your vulnerabilities
- Identify any patches that need to be installed
- Reconfigure software, firewalls, and operating systems
- Identify needs for encryption or more secure protocols
- Find the most vulnerable route through which an attack can be made
- Find loopholes that an attacker could use to steal sensitive data
Our engagement process
Our CREST-accredited penetration testers follow an established methodology based primarily upon the Open Source Security Testing Methodology Manual (OSSTMM). This approach emulates attackers’ techniques using many of the same readily available tools.
- Scoping: Prior to a test, our account management team will discuss the requirements for your network/infrastructure assessment to define the scope of the test.
- Reconnaissance: IT Governance will enumerate your network assets and identify any holes in your systems where malicious actors could break in.
- Assessment: Using the information identified in the reconnaissance phase, we test the identified hosts for potential vulnerabilities.
- Reporting: The results will be fully analysed by an IT Governance certified tester and a full report will be prepared that sets out the scope of the test and the methodology used along with the risks identified. This will provide your organization with the ability to produce an accurate threat and risk assessment.
- Re-test: We can provide access to our testers and the raw test data to support and expedite remediation. We can also retest your systems so that you can be sure all the issues have been successfully resolved.
Our penetration tests comply with the Microsoft Rules of Engagement
For Azure clients, this means we take care to limit all penetration tests to your assets, thereby avoiding unintended consequences to your customers or your infrastructure
Select your external network penetration test
We offer two levels of penetration test to meet your budget and technical requirements.
Level 1: buy online from $2,590
- Identifies the vulnerabilities that leave your IT exposed
- Combines a series of manual assessments with automated scans, as our team assesses the vulnerability of your network
- Allows you to evaluate your security posture and make more accurate budgetary decisions.
Purchase our affordable,
quick and fixed-price penetration tests online
Level 2: contact us for a quote
- Attempts to exploit the identified vulnerabilities to see whether it’s possible to access your assets and resources.
- Provides a more thorough assessment of your security posture, which enables you to make more accurate decisions about investing in securing your business-critical systems.
Please contact us for further information
or to speak to an expert.
How IT Governance can help you
We are pioneers in offering easy-to-understand and quick-to-buy penetration testing.
You can choose the level of penetration test to meet your budget and technical requirements.
We provide clear reports that can be understood by engineering and management teams alike.
CREST-accredited penetration testing services give you all the technical assurance you need.
Companies using our penetration testing services