Wireless penetration tests
What is a wireless network penetration test?
Having Wi-Fi can open the door for attackers to infiltrate an organization’s secured environment despite security access controls. Pen testing can help organizations discover vulnerabilities in the wireless infrastructure.
The testing of wireless networks generally includes:
- Wi-Fi network identification, including wireless fingerprinting, information leakage and signal leakage.
- Determine encryption weaknesses, such as encryption cracking, wireless sniffing and session hijacking.
- Identifying vulnerabilities to penetrate a network by using wireless or evading WLAN access control measures.
- Identify legitimate user identities and credentials to access otherwise private networks and services.
Once identified, these vulnerabilities are presented in a format that allows an organization to assess their relative business risk and the cost of remediation. As a result, they can then be resolved in line with the network owners budget and risk appetite, inducing a proportionate response to cyber risks.
Did you know?
Wireless networks are much easier paths for exploitation for attackers that are either much more difficult or completely impossible to execute with a standard, wired network. Wireless networks are generally considered by hackers as ideal entry points into an organization’s systems.
Wireless network traffic is also easily recorded. Hackers can gather proprietary information, logins, passwords, intranet server addresses and valid network and station addresses. They can steal Internet bandwidth, transmit spam, or use your network as a springboard to attack others. They can capture and modify traffic to masquerade as you, with financial or legal consequences.
The benefits of completing a wireless network penetration test
Our penetration tests will help you to:
- Gain real-world insight into your vulnerabilities.
- Detect default Wi-Fi routers.
- Rogue or open access points.
- Misconfigure or accidentally duplicated wireless networks.
- Security vulnerabilities in Bluetooth technology.
- Insecure wireless encryption standards (such as WEP).
Is a wireless network penetration test right for you?
If you are responsible for your network, ask yourself these questions:
- Have you identified all your access points and how many unsecured or poorly secured access points there are?
- Is data freely flowing through your network without being encrypted?
- Are unauthorized access points on your network?
- Is it possible that your IT department could misconfigure or accidentally duplicate a wireless network?
- Has the appropriate security been put in place to prevent attacks when connected to a public wi-fi network?
- Have you updated wireless protocols to an industry accepted protocol (WPA2)?
Our engagement process
Our CREST accredited penetration testers follow an established methodology based primarily upon the OSSTMM security risks. This approach will emulate the techniques of an attacker using many of the same readily available tools.
- Scoping: Prior to a test, our account management team will discuss your assessment requirements for your internal network to define the scope of the test.
- Reconnaissance: During this step, the tester identifies and list wireless network access points where a signal can be received at the targeted location(s), whether physically located at or nearby the targeted location(s).
- Assessment: Using the information identified in the initial phase, we test the target wireless network for potential vulnerabilities. This will provide your organization with the ability to produce an accurate threat and risk assessment.
- Reporting: On conclusion of the testing the results will be fully analyzed by an IT Governance certified tester and a full report will be prepared for the customer that will set out the scope of the test and the methodology used along with all the risks identified.
- Re-test: We can provide access to our testers and the raw test data to support and expedite remediation. We can also retest your systems so that you can be sure all the identified issues have been successfully resolved.
Select your wireless penetration test
We offer two levels of penetration test to meet your budget and technical requirements.
Level 1: buy online from $2,837
- Identifies the vulnerabilities that leave your IT exposed.
- Combines a series of manual assessments with automated scans, as our team assesses the vulnerability of your network.
- Allows you to evaluate your security posture and make more accurate budgetary decisions.
Purchase our affordable,
quick and fixed-price penetration tests online
Level 2: contact us for a quote
- Attempts to exploit the identified vulnerabilities to see whether it’s possible to access your assets and resources.
- Provides a more thorough assessment of your security posture, which enables you to make more accurate decisions about investing in securing your business-critical systems.
Please contact us for further information
or to speak to an expert.
Why choose IT Governance?
We’re a pioneer in making penetration testing easy to understand and quick to buy.
Choose the level of penetration test to meet your budget and technical requirements.
Clear reports that can be understood by engineering and management teams alike.
CREST-accredited penetration testing services give you all the technical assurance you need.
Companies using our penetration testing services
“IT Governance combines the delivery of real insights with a cost-effective service.”
Ian Kilpatrick, Group Information Security Officer at Collinson Group.
Speak to an expert
Our team of experts are available to discuss your organizations penetration testing needs, and can help you decide which of our testing services is best suited. Get in touch with us today.