What is ISO 50001?
ISO 50001: 2011 Energy Management Systems (EnMS) is the international standard for "Energy Management Systems - requirements with guidance for use."
The US Department of Energy (DOE) supports ISO 50001 as a "proven approach for US industrial and commercial facilities to plan, manage, measure, and continually improve energy performance."
There is an ever-increasing demand for businesses to manage their energy usage, the most efficient way for companies to do this is by certifying to ISO 50001. By doing this, organizations are promoting commitment to energy management as well as ensuring that they:
- To meet legal and contractual energy compliance
- To save money by managing energy more efficiently
- To demonstrate a continual commitment to improved energy performance to customers and stakeholders.
When putting contracts up for tender, potential new suppliers are increasingly being assessed on their green credentials as much as on the products and services they offer.
The ISO 50001 standard
The ISO 50001:2011 standard is a set of requirements that helps organizations develop an efficient energy management system (EnMS). ISO 50001 helps organizations develop an energy policy and achieve objectives, taking into account statutory, legal, and other requirements.
The Standard specifies requirements applicable to energy use and consumption, including:
- Documentation and reporting
- Design and procurement practices for equipment
- Processes and personnel that contribute to energy performance
Purchase your copy of the ISO 50001 standard >>
ISO 50001 benefits
ISO 50001 has been designed to be applicable to any organisation in any sector and in such a way that it can easily be integrated into other management systems.
The benefits of creating an EnMS aligned with ISO 50001 include:
- Reduced costs and/or better use of an organizations' energy consumption
- Compliance with legal, contractual, and statutory requirements
- Promoting energy management best practice throughout the supply chain
- Planning and developing new energy-efficient procedures and technologies
- Supporting and developing the organization’s brand, and creating more business by committing to being environmentally friendly