What is ISO 50001?
ISO 50001: 2011 Energy Management Systems (EnMS) is the international standard for "Energy Management Systems - requirements with guidance for use."
The US Department of Energy (DOE) supports ISO 50001 as a "proven approach for US industrial and commercial facilities to plan, manage, measure, and continually improve energy performance."
There is an ever-increasing demand for businesses to manage their energy usage in an efficient and environmentally friendly manner:
- To meet legal and contractual energy compliance
- To save money by managing energy more efficiently
- To demonstrate a continual commitment to improved energy performance to customers and stakeholders.
When putting contracts up for tender, potential new suppliers are increasingly being assessed on their green credentials as much as on the products and services they offer.
Companies need to be aware of how they produce and deliver their products and in order to ensure a competitive advantage, they must work in the most environmentally friendly manner possible.
The ISO 50001 Standard
The ISO 50001 standard is a set of requirements that helps organizations develop an efficient Energy Management System (EnMS). ISO 50001 helps organizations develop an energy policy and achieve objectives, taking into account its statutory, legal, and other requirements.
The standard specifies requirements applicable to energy use and consumption, including:
- Documentation and reporting
- Design and procurement practices for equipment
- Processes and personnel that contribute to energy performance
ISO 50001 has been designed so that it can be applicable to any organization in any sector. ISO 50001 has also been designed in such a way that it can easily be integrated into other management systems.
The benefits of using ISO 50001
- Reduced costs and/or better use of an organization's energy consumption
- Compliance with legal, contractual, and statutory requirements
- Create new business by commitment to being environmentally friendly
- Promote energy management best practice throughout the supply chain
- Plan and develop new energy efficient procedures and technologies
- Support and develop the organization's brand by being committed to being environmentally friendly
ISO 50001 Documentation
To help organizations comply with ISO 50001, we have created the ISO 50001 Energy Management System Documentation Toolkit. This toolkit contains all the pre-written documents and templates you need to meet the requirements for energy use and consumption.
The toolkit can be applied to any organization and provides a structure in which to run energy efficient projects.
ISO 50001: 2011 is the international version of the European Standard EN16001. Organizations that are implementing EN16001 can still achieve registration using the international ISO 50001 documentation toolkit.
Speak to an expert
To get started on your ISO 14001:2015 compliance journey, get in touch with one of our experts today.