What is PRINCE2?
PRINCE2™, Projects in Controlled Environments, is one of the world’s leading IT project management methodologies. Originally developed specifically for IT projects, the PRINCE method takes a controlled and steady approach to project management, making it ideal for large scale projects while still being scalable to smaller ones.
Key features and benefits of PRINCE2:
- has a focus on business justification. PRINCE2 provides a defined structure for a project management team
- is a process-based approach to project management
- segments projects into manageable and controllable stages
- can be applied to any project in any organisation
- provides a scalable project management methodology
- gives greater control over resources
The key benefit of PRINCE2 is its versatility. Although PRINCE was originally created for large-scale IT projects, PRINCE2 can apply to any type of project and can be easily scaled through the omission of certain steps.
PRINCE2's key processes
PRINCE2’s seven key processes are:
- Starting up a project—Preparing a project brief, assigning roles, defining the approach, and planning the next stage.
- Initiating a project—Planning a project, project controls, business case, project initiation document.
- Directing a project —Authorizing a project, project direction, and project closure.
- Controlling a stage—Authorizing work to be undertaken and its completion; assessing and reviewing progress.
- Managing stage boundaries—Planning the stages of the project, updating the project plan, business case and risk assessment, creating an exception plan.
- Managing product delivery—Delivering a work package to agreed requirements.
- Closing a project—Executing a controlled close to the project.
There are currently three levels of PRINCE2 qualification:
- PRINCE2 Foundation
- PRINCE2 Practitioner
- PRINCE2 Professional
In order to become a PRINCE2 Practitioner, you need to pass the Foundation exam followed by the Practitioner exam. All PRINCE2 Practitioners are required to re-register their qualification within a three to five year window by sitting the PRINCE2 re-registration exam.
Getting started with PRINCE2
Anyone looking to expand their professional career with a PRINCE2 qualification can get started with the official 2017 PRINCE2 Manual which is key to exam success. We also offer a variety of other PRINCE2 books avaliable to purchase.
Speak to an expert
Whatever the nature or size of your problem, we are here to help. Get in touch today using one of the contact methods below.