What is PRINCE2?
PRINCE2™, Projects in Controlled Environments, is one of the world’s leading IT project management methodologies. Originally developed specifically for IT projects, the PRINCE method takes a controlled and steady approach to project management, making it ideal for large scale projects while still being scalable to smaller ones.
Key features and benefits of PRINCE2:
- has a focus on business justification. PRINCE2 provides a defined structure for a project management team
- is a process-based approach to project management
- segments projects into manageable and controllable stages
- can be applied to any project in any organisation
- provides a scalable project management methodology
- gives greater control over resources
The key benefit of PRINCE2 is its versatility. Although PRINCE was originally created for large-scale IT projects, PRINCE2 can apply to any type of project and can be easily scaled through the omission of certain steps.
PRINCE2's key processes
PRINCE2’s seven key processes are:
- Starting up a project—Preparing a project brief, assigning roles, defining the approach, and planning the next stage.
- Initiating a project—Planning a project, project controls, business case, project initiation document.
- Directing a project —Authorizing a project, project direction, and project closure.
- Controlling a stage—Authorizing work to be undertaken and its completion; assessing and reviewing progress.
- Managing stage boundaries—Planning the stages of the project, updating the project plan, business case and risk assessment, creating an exception plan.
- Managing product delivery—Delivering a work package to agreed requirements.
- Closing a project—Executing a controlled close to the project.
There are currently three levels of PRINCE2 qualification:
- PRINCE2 Foundation
- PRINCE2 Practitioner
- PRINCE2 Professional
In order to become a PRINCE2 Practitioner, you need to pass the Foundation exam followed by the Practitioner exam. All PRINCE2 Practitioners are required to re-register their qualification within a three to five year window by sitting the PRINCE2 re-registration exam.
Getting started with PRINCE2
Anyone looking to expand their professional career with a PRINCE2 qualification can get started with the official 2017 PRINCE2 Manual which is key to exam success. We also offer a variety of other PRINCE2 books avaliable to purchase.