On May 25, 2018, the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) changed the way organizations collect and process EU residents’ personal data. It applies to EU organizations, and non-EU organizations that monitor the behavior of or offer goods and services to EU residents. Organizations need to determine whether it applies to them, and revise their information handling processes to ensure compliance if necessary.
North America and GDPR
As a result, North American organizations have been scrambling to understand and comply with the Regulation. Many are unsure what to do and several major US news sites have even blocked European access while they figure out how to comply.
There is no reason for organizations to be troubled. To help alleviate the confusion, IT Governance USA is hosting a webinar: “Why should North American organizations comply with the GDPR?” It is designed to provide an overview of various GDPR-related topics, including:
- Why North American organizations with offices in the EU must comply with the GDPR, and what might happen if they don’t
- The GDPR’s requirements and how these relate to US frameworks and legislation
- Data subjects’ rights
- Breach notification requirements
- International data transfers
The webinar will take place on Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 1:00 – 2:00pm EDT.
If you can’t make the webinar, it will be available to download shortly afterwards.
You can also register for our other upcoming webinars:
- How can an ISO 27001-compliant ISMS help law firms achieve GDPR compliance?: Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. EDT
- The responsibilities of controllers and processors under the GDPR and how ongoing staff awareness can support compliance: Thursday, September 6, 2018, 1:00 p.m.-2:00 p.m. EDT
- GDPR compliance and information security: reducing data breach risks: Monday, October 15, 2018, 1:00 p.m.-2:00 p.m. EDT
- GDPR Challenges for the healthcare sector and the practical steps to compliance: Monday, October 22, 2018, 1:00 p.m.-2:00 p.m. EDT