According to the State IT Workforce: Facing Reality with Innovation report by the National Association of State Chief Information Officers (NASCIO), state CIOs are seriously concerned about the shortage of IT security professionals. Alarmingly, 66% of respondents said the shortage of qualified candidates for state IT positions is hindering their state’s ability to achieve its strategic initiatives.
One of the main challenges that state CIOs face when recruiting and retaining skilled staff is that private sector salaries and opportunities are traditionally better than those offered by the government.
The report also states that security as a skill and discipline is the biggest challenge (67.3%) to attracting and retaining IT employees: “There is a real challenge to recruit and retain cyber professionals with the skill sets needed for effective cybersecurity protection.”
The report found that:
- 86% of states are having difficulty recruiting new employees to fill vacant IT positions.
- Nearly 92% of states say salary rates and pay grade structures present a challenge in attracting and retaining IT talent.
- 46% of states report that it is taking three to five months to fill senior-level IT positions.
- Security is the skill that presents the greatest challenge when attracting and retaining IT employees.
Importance of ISO 27001
With cyber crime a major concern for businesses worldwide, more and more organizations are implementing an ISO 27001-compliant information security management system (ISMS) to prove their commitment to cybersecurity to their customers and stakeholders. In fact, registration to the Standard has grown 36% in the US year-on-year, according to the latest ISO Survey.
As a result of this increased adoption, US organizations are increasingly looking for qualified ISO 27001 professionals to lead the implementation and auditing of their management systems.
Our Live Online training – delivered by ISO 27001 experts – provides delegates with the knowledge and skills to implement and/or audit an ISO 27001-compliant ISMS. Our certified and internationally recognized courses are delivered online to reduce the travel and accommodation costs traditionally associated with classroom courses, and will significantly reduce time away from office.
Our current range of ISO 27001 Live Online training courses includes:
- ISO 27001 Certified ISMS Foundation Online
- ISO 27001 Certified ISMS Lead Implementer Online
- ISO 27001 Certified Lead Auditor Online
- ISO 27001:2013 Certified ISMS Transition Online