Implementing ISO 27001 requires a comprehensive, well-planned and well-executed project. Although there are countless guidelines and notes available online and offline on how to conduct a risk assessment and implement ISO 27001, information security teams still struggle with key areas of the project.
According to the ISO 27001 Global Report 2016, which is based on the responses of 250 information security professionals worldwide who have implemented (40%), are implementing (40%), or are looking to implement ISO 27001, the main challenges reported are:
- 41% of respondents struggled to get employee buy-in and raise staff awareness.
- 39% of respondents had difficulties ensuring the team had the right level of competence and expertise.
- 31% reported facing challenges understanding the requirements of the Standard.
- 28% of respondents experienced challenges creating and managing the information security management system (ISMS) documentation.
- 26% struggled to secure the necessary budget for the project.
- 24% faced challenges reporting on and maintaining the information security management system.
- 22% of respondents said that one of the main challenges was conducting the information security risk assessment.
- 17% faced challenges mobilizing the ISO 27001 implementation team.
- 16% reported challenges developing the scope of the ISO 27001 project.
- 14% of the respondents reported challenges identifying the required controls.
- 10% reported struggles obtaining certification to the Standard.
Organizations that want to overcome challenges around creating and managing the ISMS documentation and use internal expertise can take advantage of IT Governance’s ISO 27001 ISMS Documentation toolkit. The toolkit is a time-saving and cost-effective solution that can help your organization meet your ISO 27001 documentation obligations by using customizable documentation templates and expert guidance from ISO 27001 auditors.
Additionally, organizations that lack the skills, resources, and time to implement ISO 27001 can opt for IT Governance’s ISO 27001 packaged solutions, which offer a range of tools and resources that can be deployed worldwide at a fixed price.