As of May 25, 2018, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will change the way organizations collect and process the personal data of EU residents. Failure to comply can lead to fines, reputational damage and other penalties. The GDPR applies to EU organizations, and non-EU organizations that monitor the behavior of or offer goods and services to EU residents. North American organizations with any connection to the EU, whether through subsidiaries, customers, or suppliers, stand to be affected. Organizations should therefore determine whether the GDPR applies to them, and revise their information handling processes to ensure compliance if necessary.
There are seven key steps to compliance:
- Establish an accountability and governance framework
- Scope and plan your project
- Conduct a data inventory and data flow audit
- Conduct a detailed gap analysis
- Develop operation policies, procedures, and processes
- Communicate with staff and initiate staff awareness training
- Monitor and audit compliance
Complying with the Regulation protects data subjects’ rights, and adds to your organization’s credibility and trust.
To help your organization, IT Governance USA is hosting a new webinar, Why should North American organizations comply with the GDPR? It is designed to provide an overview of various GDPR-related topics, including:
- Why North American organizations doing business in the EU must comply with the GDPR, and what might happen if they don’t
- The GDPR’s requirements and how these relate to North American frameworks and legislation
- Data subjects’ rights
- Breach notification requirements
- International data transfers
The webinar will take place on Thursday, May 31, 2018, 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. EDT
If you can’t make the webinar, it will be available to download shortly afterwards.
You can also register for our other upcoming webinars:
- June 6, 2018 – The first steps towards GDPR compliance
- June 7, 2018 – How can an ISO 27001-compliant ISMS help law firms achieve GDPR compliance?
To find out more about each webinar, or to see our past webinars, click here >>