ISO 27001 is the international standard that describes best practice for an information security management system (ISMS).
Achieving accredited certification to the Standard demonstrates that your organization is following information security best practice and your data is sufficiently protected.
Why implement ISO 27001?
Implementing an ISO 27001-compliant ISMS means your organization can:
- Win new business and retain existing customers
- Avoid the penalties and financial losses associated with data breaches
- Protect and enhance its reputation
- Improve its processes and structure
- Comply with legal, contractual, and regulatory requirements, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and other cybersecurity laws
ISO 27001 implementation challenges
In a recent blog we examined some of the most common implementation challenges and how you can overcome them. The biggest challenge identified was securing sufficient budget to implement an ISMS.
Without sufficient financial resources, your ISO 27001 project is likely to fail.
It is essential that security teams know how to communicate the value of the information security program when justifying a budget.
Compiling a business case for ISO 27001 is critical in influencing decision makers. It should identify required resources, as well as training, software, and tools.
The business case also needs to weigh the costs of implementation against the financial and reputational damage associated with a data breach.
Successfully implement ISO 27001 with our book of the month bundle
Obtaining management support and implementing an ISO 27001-compliant ISMS can be a complicated job, especially if you are new to the Standard.
March’s book of the month bundle, The ISO 27001 Expertise Bundle, will give anyone tackling ISO 27001 for the first time the guidance and direction they need to make their implementation project a success.
The bundle will equip you with the essential resources and skills needed to convince the board to invest in ISO 27001, along with the first steps to take once you have gained approval. It includes:
- A must-have guide for presenting the compelling business case for ISO 27001 investment
- A pocket guide to help you understand the breach scenarios your organization could face, and the true costs involved
- An indispensable guide to equip you with the sales skills you need to persuade the board to invest in information security
- An expert guide to help you get to grips with the Standard and make your ISO 27001 implementation project a success