When seeking to achieve certification to ISO 27001, organizations should avoid non-accredited certification bodies.
Why? Non-accredited certification bodies typically offer a service that includes both consultancy and certification.
No formally accredited ISO 27001 certification body will offer this type of service, as the international ISO framework recognizes the obvious conflict of interest when a single organization assesses its own work while also offering advice/consultancy.
Non-accredited certification bodies (and those that claim to be accredited without the recognized scheme) may not be subject to regular performance, quality, and competence monitoring by a national accreditation body (such as ANSI-ASQ National Accreditation Board (ANAB)).
Additionally, non-accredited certification bodies (and those that claim to be accredited without the recognized scheme) usually do not operate in line with the international standards that set out requirements for certification bodies (e.g. ISO/IEC 17021).
For peace of mind, organizations should look to ANAB. ANAB assesses and accredits certification bodies that audit and certify organizations conforming to management system standards across many industries – from information security and telecommunications to aerospace and food safety.
How to know which firms are ISO 27001 certified
These are all ANAB-accredited certification bodies for ISO 27001:
- Aprio, LLP
- ISOQAR Inc
- NSAI Inc
- NSF International
- Russian Register
- Schellman & Company, LLC
- SGS SA
- The Standards Institution of Israel, Quality and Certification Division
- SRI Quality System Registrar
- DQS Inc
As this list is subject to change, we recommend that you use ANAB’s directory to confirm that a certification body has a valid ANAB accreditation certificate.
Need help achieving ISO 27001 certification?
Our ISO 27001 implementation checklist will provide you with a step-by-step process to best implement and achieve ISO 27001 certification.
IT Governance USA can also help with a variety of our tools and services.
- ISO 27001 Cybersecurity Toolkit: Have all the documentation templates in hand to streamline the implementation project
- ISO 27001 Gap Analysis Service: Obtain a specialist, in person review of your current information security posture against the requirements of ISO/IEC 27001:2013
- ISO 27001 Lead Implementer Online Training Course: Find out how to scope the ISMS effectively by attending the definitive ISO 27001 Lead Implementer course
- ISO 27001 bespoke consultancy: Achieve certification as quickly and cost-effectively as possible with our made-to-measure service