Excellent news for those working in, or wanting to work in, the information security sector: recent high-profile data breaches (see our monthly round-up for the latest details) mean that organizations are finally waking up to the importance of information security, and employment in the sector is enjoying a boom.
A fifth of IT budgets are now allocated to security, and information security executives are in high demand and short supply:
- Recruitment firm Robert Half’s recently published 2015 Salary Guide reports that employment within the technology sector is forecast to grow at 2.19% a year – nearly five times the national average – and that CSOs in the United States will see a 7.1% salary rise to a range of $134,250 to $204,750 in 2015.
- PwC’s 2014 Annual Global CEO Survey found that “62% of technology CEOs plan to increase hiring compared to 50% of the total sample”.
- Chron.com reports that “the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) anticipates an employment growth of 22% from 2010 to 2020 for IT professionals involved in cyber security”.
- Earlier this year, SecurityWeek reported Burning Glass Technologies’ research, which found that the “number of job postings for cyber-security positions grew twice as fast as the number for overall IT job postings in 2013”.
- Cybersecurity specialist James Gosler argued that the United States needs 30,000 technical cybersecurity workers right now, saying: “It takes a very skilled person to operate at that level, and we don’t have enough of them.”
- The 2014 Cisco Annual Security Report (CASR) projected a global shortage of between 500,000 and 1,000,000 IT security professionals in the foreseeable future.
How to capitalize on these opportunities
American information security professionals looking to capitalize on the opportunities of a buoyant employment market should take advantage of IT Governance’s festive offers to further their careers. These deals include 30% off all ISO 27001 online training courses, which provide globally recognized information security qualifications.
ISO 27001 is the international information security management standard that sets out the requirements of an information security management system (ISMS), and against which enterprises can achieve certification to demonstrate their compliance with international best practices.
The Standard is growing in popularity and reputation: certifications to ISO 27001 increased 29% from 2012 to 2013 in the US according to the latest ISO survey, and numbers are only expected to grow.
The following online courses are on offer until midnight December 1 2014:
- ISO 27001 Certified ISMS Foundation Online – Save $142.50
- ISO 27001 Certified ISMS Lead Implementer Online – Save $570
- ISO 27001 Certified Lead Auditor Online – Save $420
- ISO 27001:2013 Certified ISMS Transition Online – Save $195
IT Governance’s festive offers provide significant savings on ISO 27000 standards and resources, including the No 3 Comprehensive ISO 27001:2013 ISMS Toolkit.